In recent years, I’ve noticed so many changes in my hair and skin! Sometimes I feel as if I am back to square one. Luckily there are simple tricks and tweaks that make a major impact on our beauty game. Also, there are more great products and beautiful hair and makeup styles for us to experiment with. Here are twelve tips guaranteed to up your game.
1. Wash your hair less frequently. We used to be encouraged to wash our hair daily, which works great for an oily scalp, but as we get older, our scalp produces less oil, and hair becomes dehydrated. Daily washing can leave hair brittle, lacking in shine and luster, and thirsty for conditioner, especially for those of us who use color.
2. Use deep conditioning hair masks weekly before you shampoo, preferably overnight.
3. Concentrate the shampoo on the scalp area, avoiding the ends as much as possible, but focus conditioning on the ends of your hair avoiding the scalp.
3. Use heat sparingly and apply a heat protectant before blow drying, or using hot tools on your hair
4. Use a leave-in conditioner in addition to regular conditioner this extra step helps lock in moisture.
5. Heat your hairbrush a little before starting the styling portion of your blow dry.
6. To get a salon-style to blow dry, blow hair to 80% dry before attempting to style. Next, part the hair into small sections and shape section by section using a round brush for curling and a paddle brush to make hair smooth and straight.
7. After curling, pin curls in place to let them set for a longer hold.
8. Lightly mist with hair a “styleable” hair spray before removing pinned curls, and run fingers through hair to style.
1. Using a good primer helps makeup go on more smoothly, it also helps makeup blend better and increases the length of wear without touchup.
2. While shimmery highlighter is a major trend, and can help the skin look bright and healthy, it can make oily skin look more oily, and can highlight texture, such as large pores or fine lines.
3. Using eyeshadow as a smokey eyeliner creates a softer look but still provides definition to the eye is often more attractive on mature eyes. A sharp line can be harsh or draw attention to drooping lids.
4. While red or dark lip colors can look amazing on mature women, be sure to experiment with the lipstick texture. A matte formula can make lips look smaller and dry, whereas the same shade in a cream formula can be your perfect jam.
What great advice! I’ve never tried heating my hairdryer beforehand but I just might give it a go!
Suzy Turner at Yogadocious
I watched Becca heat her brush once we finished with the first phase of the blow dry.
Great post and tips. Yes, less often is better for the hair.
I enjoyed your tips Nina! I need to do more deep conditioning! I also love the primer I use as it holds my makeup well- YSL Eclat primer.. I also need to try and just condition the ends of my hair as that is where it gets dry. I enjoyed reading!
thanks for linking!
It’s always a pleasure to visit you for a link up. I just love your style. I haven’t tried the YSL Eclat primer yet, it’s on my list! Deep conditioning is my jam–I use Olaplex. It’s made a huge difference.
Great styling tips! I used to wash my hair everyday without fail, but now I leave it for day if I’m not working and it definitely feels better for it.