Sometimes we just need a tiny change in our appearance to sort of update and breathe life into our look. I’ve come up with 6 simple and inexpensive changes that can elevate or freshen your look and maybe even boost your mood.
It’s easy to get in a rut with our appearance; some of you who have been with me a long time know that my daughter wanted to turn me in to the show What Not To Wear because I had gotten into a yoga pant rut when she was young. They were practical comfortable and reasonably presentable (I wore the straight leg style). I paired my yoga pants with cute tops and jackets, in my defense.
It’s often the little things, such as our default hair style or make up look that, with just a small shift can make a big difference. So here are a few things to play with. All these beauty and fashion tweaks completely free or very low budget, but trust me, they pack a punch.
6 Easy Beauty & Fashion Tweaks:
- Part your hair differently: I came to prefer a side part, but every once in a while my hair stylist will go rogue and give me a center part. At first I think it looks strange, and I don’t like it, but it grows on me. Its funny how changing your part can make a difference; but it does.
- Curl it or wear it straight: Again, with the hair. I tend to wear a bit of a wave in my hair, and I have kind of a mid length. Every so often, I’ll straighten it or get a few inches cut off—not too much, mind you, I am a long hair girl. Last spring, I went for a shorter blunt cut and wore it straight for a while. On another occasion, I cut long bangs, just to change things up a bit.
- Try a new lip color: For just a few minutes of going through your lipstick stash or paying a few dollars, a new lip color is a surprisingly simple and inexpensive way to change and elevate your look. I love my Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk; but plan to try a brighter pink as we head into summer. Come fall and winter, I love deeper tones. With a subtle change in lip color I am often inspired to change my eye look a bit also; and before I know it, just a few tweaks have lead to a fresh look.
- Change up your hair color: Ok, this is not a $200+ trip to the hair stylist for a make over, I am talking about a simple shine glaze you can give yourself between appointments. I often use clear or occasionally, warm or cool blond depending on my mood. Glazes are under $30, temporary and add incredible shine. My daughter uses colors that either add a reddish cast to her dark brown hair or move it to a slightly darker shade. For those of you who are silver; a blue rinse can lift yellowing and boost shine.
- Eyebrows: These days, eyebrows are all the rage, though they haven’t been high on my list until recently when I began to notice a bit of sparseness. Just touching them up a little makes a huge difference and takes only a few seconds as I finish my make up look. If you aren’t sure what to do with your eyebrows, consider visiting one of the brow salons that have cropped up. Have a pro help you the first time around. Or if you like to play, hop on to instagram and check out the many brow looks. Using eyeshadow, brow jell and a brow pencil, you can play until you get your brow look down.
- Add a new accent color to your wardrobe. Many of us have a strong “basic” wardrobe, I know I do! While versatile, it can feel stale especially between seasons. As I consider moving into a new season, it’s often too cold or too warm to start wearing the next season’s clothes so I turn to color. An accent color will help transform my basics from one season to the next, and lighten my mood.
It’s amazing how a one or two simple changes can impact the way you look and feel. If you are in a slump, and have a few minutes to experiment, give one of these beauty and fashion tweaks a try and let me know how it’s working for you.