Shop this beautiful and reasonably priced dress from Boston Proper Here: https://rstyle.me/+UuozeX–NXZ1FA_mEKs8Vw
Spring has sprung, winter is behind us and it’s the perfect time to start thinking about what to wear this season. I am all about sharing the best spring dresses for women over 50. When March and April roll around, as I think about my wardrobe, I want to shop for flirty, feminine styles that flutter in spring breezes, dresses that send my imagination to gardens full of blooms, afternoon tea parties with friends and romantic evenings.
Roger and I have been enjoying getting out and living more “normally” this spring, which means picnics, and lunches al fresco so I can wear pretty spring dresses to my heart’s content. It’s wonderful to have a supportive man who enjoys indulging me. He seems to like it when I wear cute spring dresses.
If you had told me that I could wear P.J.’s and joggers, that I wouldn’t have to get dressed up or put make up on for a whole year, I have to admit, I might be tempted, for a minute. I have spent way too much time at home at this point, and was feeling a bit blue. I must confess, I wore cozy clothes A LOT last year. But I’m ready for spring, to put asked black and neutrals in favor of ready to turn over a new leaf and ready for something bright, fresh and new for my wardrobe. Last spring I was complaining about wearing jeans too much; this year I am over joggers (even though I am wearing a pair as I write this). In any event, I am definitely looking for a spring outfit.
I am looking for bright colors, pretty florals, a little lace or ruffle, but not too much, and a modern silhouette, just for fun. I also love to add a hat and new shoes to build a perfect look.
I looked for spring dresses for women over 50, as well as summer dresses for women over 50.
Shop this gorgeous Ilona Dress in Mandarin Fan here: https://rstyle.me/+McxTQxuRaXd8WbCNLnqOVg
At first, I struck out. I perused Pinterest, Instagram and my favorite online shops for dresses and outfit ideas. The best time to begin looking for spring and summer dresses is at the end of February. We are now in full bloom for dresses for over 50, as well as all other age groups. I am seeing lots of prom and graduation dresses, spring weddings as well as dresses for spring vacations. I wrote a post about spring and summer weddings in 2019 including the “new” etiquette so if you’ve been invited to a wedding you might want to check the post out.
Even though the rules for styling dresses for women over 50 have changed considerably, It is still a touch more challenging to find dresses for our age group. I find that dresses are often too “young”, too revealing or too “matronly”.
When it comes to dresses for women over 50, I want to make one thing clear: many of the old “rules” for dressing no longer apply. You can wear what makes you feel amazing.
For those of you who want some guidance, here are a few tips:
- Make sure the dress really suits you. By that I mean, that the dress reflects your style and who you are as a woman today. I have found that as I get older, I want more elegance in my wardrobe, some may want a more casual look, but what we don’t want is to look like a “fashion vicim” like our clothes are wearing us, that we look way older than we are or that we are trying to look younger. I go by how I feel when I have the dress on. If I am attempting to adjust it to fit better, or if I am asking “does this make me look….” It probably does. If I am unsure, it is a sign that the dress or outfit isn’t right. When I feel happy or excited in a garment, I know it’s for me. When you are wearing the right garment, you can literally feel it.
- Finding the right dress may be a bit challenging, and you may want to modify your dress to make it more “you”. You can add a pretty shrug or a jacket to a more youthful sundress to tone it down a bit or to cover your arms. You can also wear a t-shirt beneath a sundress for more coverage in the decollate if you can’t find the kind of coverage you like.
- Make sure your dress fits properly. There is no question that fit can make or break a look. When you try on a dress make sure you look at the front and back, and make sure it doesn’t pull, gape, or is too short. If the dress is short, sit down to make sure the dress doesn’t ride up. You may need to get alternations, which is perfectly fine, but the dress should not need a complete makeover.
- Wear the right undergarments beneath your clothing. I wrote a blog post about this topic. It’s so important to make sure your clothes lay smoothly, and that you can’t see undergarments or bulges underneath. Luckily lingerie designers have modified bras and undergarments to flatter and smooth.
Now that we have the tips portion of this post out of the way, we can chat about my favorite spring dresses for women over 50. Mind you, these dresses can be worn for all sorts of occasions, including just grabbing grabbing lunch. I want these moments to feel special. For me, part of what makes things special is
What to look for in spring dresses in 2021:
- We are seeing a resurgence in ruffles, and floaty fabrics; and while all dress lengths are “in” the midi dress is having a moment. This length looks great with a heel or a flat; to be more trend conscious, try a pair of sleek vintage trainers; if you like a heel, try a pair of square toe slides.
- Asymmetrical necklines are back, for those of you who love a sleek modern look.
- Bright colors have returned; as have small to mid sized florals.
- Wrap dresses and maxi dresses are always great choices if you love fashion.
What to look for in summer dresses:
- Summer calls for natural cottons, silks and linen; Set aside anything made of synthetic fabric when the temperatures and humidity gets too high.
- Dark colors are also off the list during the hottest months.
- Floaty maxi and midi dresses are perfect for summer heat; there is nothing better than a nice summer dress; it’s much more comfortable than pants or shorts for women over 50.
- Red _ dress from Revolve. You may be able to find similar outfits here. This beautiful dress buttons up, so if you want to show a little decollate you can just unbutton a few buttons. It has the beautiful floral print, the bright colors and the ruffles of the season.
- White lace is right on trend this year, it actually hits several trends in one. First, all white is one of the top colors for spring and summer 2021. Lace is also really popular this year, both in dresses and for blouses.
- I am sharing a neutral jersey dress from Reiss which is perfect for wearing at home because it’s got a major comfy vibe, and is also perfect for people who love the chic casual style in dresses.
I hope this round up has helped you as you consider your spring wardrobe. I hope you’ll share your favorites in the comments below.
A few other dress options you might love:
I just love this floaty halter dress. If I am concerned about my arms, I will throw on a shrug or jacket. https://rstyle.me/+k6mf3KkAC2LHFYVSe1klBg
https://rstyle.me/+7FPpbg4ZtgxTfJIe4xzgFQ This super cute and affordable dress is perfect for spring; I know my daughter would love this dress.