I am feeling spring right now! I know I say it every season, but I love spring, I love fresh flowers, the idea of starting anew and of course, wearing pretty spring outfits. I have been perusing Pinterest, and all my favorite websites thinking about adding to my spring capsule wardrobe, choosing pieces that will see me from now to late summer. I am hoping to do a little car travel this year, so I will also be working in some travel outfits as well. Today I am sharing all my spring and summer outfit ideas with you.
This spring is special. At least it feels special. After a year of staying home, we are finally feeling a little more confident going out. We still mask up, but it seems like we know the drill enough to venture out and start living, so I’m getting to work, first by putting my black winter wear back into the closet, cleaning my sweaters and surveying what I have on hand from last year. Doing an annual survey of my wardrobe helps keep my wardrobe current, and in good repair. I love the classics and have pieces that go way back, but its also important to spice things up with a few new items from the current season.
I never thought I’d say it, but I’m tired of wearing “cozy chic” clothes, at least for now. (As the weather cools, I am sure I will fall back in love with my comfy clothes again.) Right now though, I want to dive back in to spring fashion, I want to wear a dress again and am setting aside black, until next winter when I will fall in love with my winter wardrobe all over again.
I am preparing my annual spring capsule wardrobe check list along some spring essentials for travel (we’re still traveling by car), and I thought I’d share what’s on my list with you. As an added bonus, I created a double duty wardrobe list at the bottom, because that’s what friends do.
Before capsule wardrobe dressing was a thing, I had my own version of a capsule wardrobe. We called it mix and match back in the day. You either take two colors that work well together or you start with a pattern you like and start choosing clothing pieces to fill in. Currently my base capsule wardrobe consists of jeans, black and navy trousers, and white pants, a couple of suit jackets and blazers, cardigan sweaters and several blouses, light sweaters and a couple of t-shirts, and then my collection of dresses. I have a few skirts but I rarely wear them.
Things to consider when you shop for a spring capsule or travel wardrobe:
- The classic trench coat: I have always loved a classic trench coat, and, as luck would have it, they are trending more than ever this year, especially in classic khaki. A few years back, I found one in a soft pink, but I’m going for more of a Parisian chic look, and classic is the way I’m headed this year.
- Spring Dresses I did a whole post on spring dresses which you can check out here, but to summarize, one of the best things about spring dresses are florals which have been smaller in scale that we’ve seen in some seasons. The midi dress is big this year, as is the mini, but I’m drawn to long flowing dresses this time of year, and as a woman of a certain age, super short dresses aren’t on my list except maybe poolside.
Styling Jeans: Jeans always play a big role in our wardrobes, and I am embracing the new silhouettes with a higher waist, and a softer silhouette. I may go for a light wash this year as well, but I’m not a huge fan of distressed jeans, though you will still see them around.
- White Pants are always a staple in spring and summer. I have them on my list in the new wide leg style as well as white denim. I wear white from mid spring through to late summer, by summer’s end, I am usually ready for a change. I usually make sure I have several pairs of comfortable white pants to carry my through the five months I usually wear them.
- Lace is high on my list this year, I ordered a white blouse with lace sleeves (currently on back order) as well as a gorgeous white lace duster I think can be used to create several looks. (See the lace duster above as swim suit coverup).
- My double duty travel capsule wardrobe favorites are a big part of my thought process as we head into the spring and summer months. From spring break to summer at the beach, this time of year is great for travel. So I am always looking for pieces that do double duty style wise. Below I am sharing my double duty wardrobe favorites so that you can keep an eye out for them when you shop this year. Also, if you have some double duty favorites, please feel free to share! I always love new ideas.
Spring and summer travel capsule wardrobes
I have pulled together a list of my favorite double duty clothing pieces; things I pack in my suitcase and have front and center in my closet from spring through the summer months. These pieces are great for travel because they can be worn in several different ways. I am always on the hunt for beautiful items that add that bit of pop to my wardrobe and what you find below really fit the bill.
- Pario/shawl/gigantic scarf. These gorgeous large squares of beautiful fabric pack well, and can be worn is several ways. A shawl on cool nights, worn over swim wear to take you from pool side to lunch and perhaps even sight seeing. I’ve shown several ways to wear them in past posts. They take up little room in your suitcase, but pack a big punch.
- A light weight duster or kimono. A duster or kimono can be worn over jeans, or evening wear, as a quick over when the room service person brings your snack, and poolside as a cover up. Shorter kimonos can be worn with shorts to elevate your look. They pack well, and add real impact to your wardrobe
- A button down. I love packing a button down, they can be worn as a shirt, a swim suit cover up, and over a cute bikini top or cami for a sexy date night look.
- Tankini. I often take a tankini as well as other swim wear, as the top can double as a cami and are a great swim option as well.
Totes are always great for travel, as well as perfect for pool side. We love the clutch within the tote so you can pull your essentials if you don’t want to carry a big bag.
Yes, it’s spring wardrobe planning time, time to get out of the house, dust the cobwebs off and enjoy the fresh air, beautiful flowers, and seasonal bounty, and consider spring outfit ideas and consider a few capsule wardrobe additions.
Swim Suit https://rstyle.me/+4JbUBoxKoxm1Q7E5h_wuGQ Kimono https://rstyle.me/+5kv-oQjcDCIOZWj-iygeOg Lace Duster https://rstyle.me/+NVTHQMOXlXJPG2B39vureA