One of the biggest disappointments for us this year is having to cancel travel plans. ( I know, first world problems…). Like many, we look forward to planning and enjoying weekend getaways, bigger escapes to new destinations as well as visiting places we have enjoyed returning to for years. So why not plan a great staycation?
As I peruse social media, I see that many of you are feeling the same way, which got me thinking, How can we create our own vacation vibes at or near home?
A few easy projects:
- Changing up our home decor to incorporate elements of our favorite travel destinations or hotels. Adding a few throw pillows, changing up your color scheme, or a pieces of memorabilia can really lift our spirits.
- Having a few favorite travel photos enlarged and framed is another way to keep our favorite vacation vibes alive. Which of course leads to making calendars and albums to share. (This makes a great gift too!)
- Finally having your favorite vacation photos and video clips turned into videos to watch at home. There are a number of small businesses that do this, or if you have time on your hands you can learn to do it yourself. As an avid scrapbooker, one of the best parts of making scrapbooks and videos is reliving the experience and enjoying looking at the books and videos afterwards.
Dinner and a Movie:
One of my girlfriends loves learning to recreate menus she and her husband enjoyed while on vacation, and watch a movie set in the same location. They sometimes choose travel oriented movies, such as Eat Pray Love, and make a meal to go with the location in the movie.
Create a Spa Retreat at Home:
I love going and spending a few days at a resort, so every once in a while I create a spa at home experience with scented candles, fairy lights, facials, yoga and spending the day at the pool sipping iced drinks and listening to calypso music.
Backyard Camping or Glamping:
I used to have a blow up camping mattress, (which was great and not too expensive, by the way,) and would set it up with big soft pillows in the evening pool side and enjoy “glamping”. If you are more of a camper, you can pitch your tent and camp in your backyard.
Speaking of camping, many camp grounds are open, so you could even book in to a local campground for an overnight and change of pace.
One Tank Trips/Picnics:
Next week, we are planning a mini road trip to a nearby state park and plan to include a picnic (we’re doing brunch since it gets so hot by mid day.) We look for locations where social distancing is easy and the scenery is different from where we live. (CHECK OUT THE TIPS ON ROAD TRIPS HERE)
Take a Local Tour:
This is the perfect time to explore your own community. Segway and walking tours are a great way to get out and see your own community as though you are a tourist. Try Geocashing, GooseChase or LetsRoam (apps that encourage exploring using locations you program into the app)
Take a Virtual Visit:
Museums, AAA and others are now creating virtual tours you watch on your computer. I’ve begun getting emails from travel providers inviting me to join in often for free, with the idea that you will eventually plan a trip.
Things to keep in mind:
- We avoid indoor activities. (Unfortunately).
- We make sure to take Lysol, hand sanitizer and wear masks where ever lots of people congregate.
- Before getting on the road, we call to make sure the venue we are interested in is open, and ask whether there are any additional considerations, such as reservations so we don’t get there and discover we can’t get in.
A little bonus:
You can be tracking your favorite destinations via YouTube, (for example if you are interested in visiting theme parks, cruises and the like,) a number of channels are specifically devoted to updating travelers on the latest details on opening, what to expect when they visit.
You might not be thinking of keeping your passport updated, (mine is about to expire). Luggage and packing related accessories are on sale right now—I am considering buying a suitcase right now, actually.
My favorite luggage is on sale right now!
I’ve had my eye on both of these two and both are on sale at Nordstrom right now. It might seem a little random to buy a suitcase right now, but these guys rarely go on sale, but since few are traveling right now, it’s actually a good time to buy travel related items. I know that’s what I’m going to be doing. I will definitely travel again one day!
I always love a good makeup bag, this one is not on sale, but I am so tempted. With the money I am saving on the luggage maybe?