Creating leggings outfits for women over 50 is easy. Great legging outfits are ageless, versatile, and practical. While leggings sometimes get a bad rep, they are an integral part of women’s wardrobes at all ages. As we get started with this post, I want to address some of the questions women over 50 ask about leggings, so let’s get those questions out of the way right up front.
Are Leggings still “in” in 2020?
Leggings are definitely still in style in 2020. Perhaps more in 2020 than ever before if that is possible. As we spend more time at home, leggings are a comfortable option to wear around the house. Leggings can be paired with a variety of tops, cardigans, kimonos, and jackets to create chic and stylish looks. Plus, leggings outfits can easily be styled for going out, making them a super versatile part of a woman’s wardrobe.
In 2020, many of us are working out more, and since leggings are an integral part of athletic or athleisure wear, they are a necessary part of one’s workout kit. In addition, they are frequently worn for running errands and grabbing a quick cup of coffee after a workout. Paired with the right top and footwear, leggings are chic, versatile, and practical.
How to wear leggings over 50
Many women ask how to wear leggings over 50. There are many stylish options. Leggings can be styled with tunics, cardigans, blouses, kimonos, and long shirts. No matter what one’s age, your bottom and hips should be covered for the most flattering look.
Bold colors and prints draw attention to one’s legs and behind, so keep that in mind when selecting leggings, especially for daily wear. I am partial to black and neutrals, but depending on the outfit, there are many ways to create a chic, stylish look over 50 with leggings.
How to Style Leggings:
Another question asked is how to style leggings. When thinking about creating outfits around leggings, the proportions of your outfit are a very important consideration.
The whole look should show your figure in the most flattering light. Leggings elongate the leg, especially when they are paired with a matching color boot or bootie. If you are interested in creating this type of look, consider adding a tunic or top just below the widest part of your hip.
If you would like to appear taller and slimmer, choose a matching top and add a kimono or long cardigan to create the column effect.
Wearing a fuller top to contrast with the body-hugging fit of leggings creates a chic and stylish look.
Double-check your look from the front and back to make sure your outfit is creating the desired silhouette. Also, give careful consideration to what you might wear over your leggings outfit and the type of footwear you choose. It’s often in these details that either make or break styling leggings for women over 50.
What to wear with leggings:
Depending on your style and where you plan to wear leggings, you can create many different looks, from work-appropriate to date night, or to go to the gym.
Mitsay Sweater Carbon 38 https://rstyle.me/+fZqxjNoYAi0wCTIGll-gLAStella McCartney Eulampis Boot https://rstyle.me/+c3oB0dT2X23PPSzVtGDLYgVEE Tote in Medium Platinum Metalic https://rstyle.me/+ITGUvR41rlfcXBQK2hxd_A
Spanx faux leather leggings took us by storm a couple of seasons ago and are still an important staple in women’s wardrobes in 2020. Faux leather creates an edgy yet more polished look to a leggings outfit and can definitely be worn by women 50 and over with the right outfit.
Athleta Stash Pocket Leggings. https://rstyle.me/+–nICRBATag4ymogU6Oj3Q
Cozy Chic Ultra Lite Cardigan https://rstyle.me/+8OZiumSPA9PqURy7s3EQrQ
Falicia Wedge Sneaker https://rstyle.me/+KPKfNj8rySWV0g1Fc_GnSg
Daisy Lace Silk Cami https://rstyle.me/+IiM99KNxeJNQi_wbjUNpnw
How not to wear leggings
Because legging looks have occasionally gone wrong, here are some thoughts on how not to wear leggings.
- Make sure your leggings fit properly and go all the way up to your waist. Do a crunch test to make sure they don’t slip down when you bend and move. They should fit comfortably over your entire bottom and should not ride, roll at the waist, or slip down. Size up if necessary.
- Leggings should fit smoothly on the leg down to the ankle. If the knees have bagged the leggings should be replaced and if they don’t hit the ankle bone, you may need to size up to get the length right.
- Leggings should be thick so undergarments can’t be seen through them both when standing or bending.
- Leggings should have enough “firming hold” to smooth imperfections without creating a “muffin top” at the waist. If you have a muffin top, size up.
- As already stated, loud prints and bright colors may draw unwanted attention. Consider your outfit carefully. I am a fan of solid colors, myself.
- Leggings are not the same as trousers or jeans so shirts are best worn on the longer side (covering one’s bottom and crotch)
- Note the trends when considering footwear for your look. Booties and boots are popular in 2020, while flats give a dated matronly vibe.
What are the best leggings to buy
Finding good leggings is pretty easy, several companies make great ones at a variety of price points. There are a few things to look for when choosing leggings.
- Consider how you plan to use them. Some are best for athletic use, while others are for more general use. Athletic leggings tend to have pockets for cell phones, and often consist of moisture wicking fabrics.
- Leggings made for daily wear often have interesting details such as “Moto” stitching, faux leather, look like jeans, are made of velour or other stylish fabrications.
Here are some great brands to consider when shopping for leggings:
Leggings are a necessity in most women’s wardrobe and can be worn and used in many different ways. Having a couple of pair for workouts and some for daily wear is ideal.
Check out other leggings posts here:
*This post contains affiliated links; I get a small commission for the purchases you make through Sharing A Journey. There is no additional cost to you. I appreciate your support of Sharing A Journey.