With Christmas behind us, I look forward to a quiet month free of shopping this January.
January is one of the best times of the year for sales and if you got gift cards for Christmas, now is the perfect time to get lots of bang for your buck!
Yeah but didn’t we just get a whole bunch of stuff for Christmas?
…Not only am I enjoying the things I got for Christmas, I am in the midst of my semi annual house clear out. I just finished cleaning out under my sink in the bathroom. It is the second time through, and I still found more stuff to let go of. It’s amazing how much we accumulate!
So I will be sitting out the sales over the next week or so. In fact, I’ve just finished a post for later in the month about the “no buy” movement. I’m not sure I am going to do a no-buy…I am not sure I can do a “no buy” but I am giving a lot of thought to a “low buy” at least! Especially as I clear out my cabinets and see how much stuff is expired or is just stuff I don’t use anymore.
The clear out got me thinking of shopping patterns, and how it is that we find ourselves over loaded with stuff time and time again. I discovered that I am number 3, the Holy Grail Shopper. I am always looking for something that will make my hair shinier, my eyes brighter and my skin glowier. In my beauty cupboard I have lots of items that didn’t work, as well as some decent things I abandoned after finding something I liked better. It is perfect from the blogging standpoint, I always have something to write about, but my budget and limited storage space might prove otherwise!
As I thought of my shopping habits, I was reminded of some of my friends habits and came up with this fun little “quiz”.
Let me know which type of shopper you are:
- I buy just what I need, stick to my budget and rarely feel tempted to overspend or shop. (Hey, if you are like this, can you send over the potion you are taking?)
- I buy only on sale so I don’t ever pay full price for my stuff. Yes, my cupboards are full, and I don’t know how old the stuff in the back is, but I am still saving money…right?
- I am looking for the holy grail: The skin care product, make up or hair care item that is going to take my look to the next level. I rarely use up the first item before I am on to the next thing, and even if I have something that is working pretty well, I am always looking for something else that might work better.
- I am a closet late night TV or YouTube watcher! I get hooked every time! In addition to all sorts of makeup, and skin care, I have a Thigh Master hidden in the back of my closet, please don’t tell anyone. There is something about watching those transformations! When I see how amazing the models and YouTubers look and how easy seems, I can’t keep my credit card in my wallet!
- I get bored with the same look all the time. Whether its clothes, make up, skin care or gadgets, I love having something new colors and formulas to play with. When I see that something new has come out, I immediately want to play!
- I don’t ever want to run out of my favorites. When a sale comes around, I buy back ups of the back ups. I am afraid that my favorite products might be discontinued. I like knowing I don’t have to run to the store to get more, I can just go to my beauty cupboard.
- I don’t know how to apply makeup, nor do I know what beauty items I need. I go to the make up counter and come away with several hundred dollars worth of stuff, but once I get it home, I don’t have any idea what to do with it. So in the cupboard it goes. I hate throwing any of it out because of how much I’ve spent! I have thousands of dollars worth of stuff, but I never use any of it!
- I am obsessed with sales and discounts! It doesn’t matter if it’s last year’s style pants, or if the item is dinged up a bit. I love thrifting, garage sales, and any other type of sale. The deeper the discount the more I can buy!
What does this mean? Well we are human, for one. And, if you want to go into the new year working on taming a shopping bug, that could be a good thing too! I guess this year I want to appreciate the really nice things I already have, I mean how many designer eye shadow palettes can one girl use?
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
Ha, this was a fun little quiz! I am a number 8 through and through. The cheaper the stuff, the more I can buy! But I have been shopping way less than normal these days which is good because my closet room overflows! Wishing you all the best in the new year, my friend!
I feel that the older I get the less I need, I still love to shop and always will but I just don’t spend as much. I’m a combination of several shoppers, always looking at what’s new, but wanting a good deal.
Nice article ?
I hear what you are saying about getting a good deal and needing less. I can see that I don’t use anywhere near the clothes I have especially since my lifestyle has been much quieter. I’m still adjusting to the new normal.