While our skin changes as we age, I have found my love for makeup and makeup tools has not diminished with age. I love make up, and have since I was a little girl (I was about 5 or so) sneaking into my mother’s make up drawer. As a woman of 60, I still light up when I try a product that really “does” something, and I am super excited when I find products that work.
Some of you are curious about my favorite makeup products so I thought I’d share the items I am loving this fall season, plus things I love in general. I’ve gotten a few new things I can’t wait to share, and there are a few oldies but goodies in my stash that I use day in and day out that I’d like to recommend.
But before we take off, I need to let you know a little about me and my skin. Up until very recently, I had very oily skin, which I would now describe as “normal”. Florida is quite humid most of the year so I look for long wearing products that don’t require lots of fussing, though I do like my makeup as you will see. I like medium to full coverage as I have a few brown spots I like to cover and I have dark circles under my eyes that seem to repel concealer. I share this so you can take it into consideration if you are thinking of purchasing any of these items.
- Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer: I had been using a pore filling primer just where I have large pores, which I like, but I kept hearing about the Veil and wondered why people rave about it. In the past I have tried many primers and found that some broke me out, some didn’t seem to do anything, but the pore filler (either Benefit PoreFessional or Tarte’s Timeless Smoothing Primer both of which I still use along with the Veil. There is just something about the Mineral Veil Primer that makes foundation look smoother, more natural and amazing. It also smooths pores so I need far less pore filler.
- Dior Backstage Face and Body foundation: Yes, for those of you who have been around for a while, I am still on this foundation. It is a light foundation that blends easily and provides medium, very natural looking coverage. It doesn’t completely cover those two pesky brown spots I have, but I do like the overall effect, not too heavy, and a velvet finish.
- Marc Jacobs Bronzer: I am still on this as well. I’ve had it for over a year, I use it most every day and I haven’t begun to make a dent in it. It’s the perfect color for my skin tone. So here’s the tip: all bronzers are not created equal; you have to find the right color for your skin tone, and that’s why I think I love this bronzer so much. It blends seamlessly, it’s the right shade and tone for my skin, it’s matte and natural looking. For day to day bronzer, I prefer a soft light color that can blend well with blush and can be built if you want more of a tan look.
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk eyeshadow, lipstick and “lip cheat”. These three items I wear almost every day. (I play a lot with different eyeshadow) but when I want a dependable, day to day look, I reach for The Pillow Talk Eyeshadow quad. And, I also wear the glitter eyeshadow shade on date night or when I want to feel like a princess.
- Natasha Denona Nude Palette: Everyone in the beauty community was talking about Natasha Denona, and I was dying to give her legendary eyeshadows a try, but the palettes were over the $100 mark and, well I didn’t love them that much. I tiptoed in by to the line by buying the Nude palette ($25) and I find myself using it a lot. I even use the foil colors on the “movable” part of the lid for shimmer and interest. We are not too old for a little shimmer and sparkle.
- For blush, I reach for Charlotte Tillbury’s Cheek to Chic (I have First Love and Ecstasy. Both are light in tone with a slight shimmer.
- Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra Fine Mist; It’s said to refresh skin and enhance makeup. Its packed full of hyaluronic acid and AHA’s. It creates a dewy glow; which I need to counter balance the powders.
- Smith and Cult nail polishes. Earlier this year, I got back into wearing nail polish, and loved the Essie Gel Couture polishes. They last a long time and come in a great assortment of colors. I was concerned about my nail health, however and decided to look into products that were supposed to be long wearing and yet a little easier on my nails. I have tried “natural” nail polishes and all sorts of formulas over the years, but all, except the Essie Gel seemed to peel off my nails, or cause flaking, dryness, and breaking. Smith and Cult is long wearing and healthier on my nails. I love the base and top coat with my favorite Essie Gel Couture color Gossamer Lace. It’s a natural “ballet” pink that really looks good with my light, yet warm skin tone.
- I’m mad for Sonia G brushes. I have the eyeshadow brush set and the face pro set. They are pricy, I know. However, I have been a lover of make up brushes since my early twenties, and have curated a collection of natural and synthetic brushes over the past twenty plus years. Good brushes definitely make a difference in make up application and if you take care of them properly, they will last for years as mine have. I have several brushes that are older than Brooke. (Sonja G Brushes can be purchased online at Beautylish. They are often on backorder as they are hand made and sell out quickly. If you are interested, ask them to send an email when they are in stock)
- A new and unexpected love: Jeffree Star Cosmetics concealer. My dark circles just laugh at ordinary concealer; the skin at the darkest points looks like a different texture. I don’t have any idea what is going on there, it’s just a pain. Recently I decided to try Jeffree Star’s concealer and…wow. That’s all I have to say.
I’d love to hear your makeup favorites, or if you have any questions or concerns about make up for mature women. I tend to find products that work for me and stick with them, and do a fair amount of research before buying because I hate spending money on makeup I can’t use or don’t like. Luckily, we have YouTube now, so when I want to know more I check out two or three favorite YouTubers for advice, then head to Sephora for samples. After trying samples, I then make the purchase.
SHOP My Picks Here